“Talented people are like the goose that laid the golden egg. The return they deliver is greatly higher than the return from the rest of your workforce, but nurturing them requires special care and feeding.”
“Don’t Kill the Golden Goose.”
Executive Briefings. 2009
Your business must have the right people in the right jobs at the right times. You can’t afford to be without enough people or the right people who can quickly fill a key role that could become vacant. It sounds like common sense, yet it still may not be happening as effectively as it must. Our integrated talent management approach addresses key leverage points that can help increase the quality and consistency of your talent base:
- Recruit and select the best people.
- Develop ‘home grown’ as well as externally recruited people; lower cost and better motivation.
- Improve the caliber and performance of existing talent
- Put the “aces in the right places”
- Prepare high potential employees for their next promotion
- Retain the best people, skills and knowledge
- Focus development efforts where it will reap rewards
- Ensure you have the skills and talent you need for the future.
Our whole talent management approach looks beyond the top levels of management and beyond the immediate needs. It helps identify individuals who can potentially fill a role as it currently is, but it can provide a balanced view of potential long-term needs, readiness, and development. In some organizations it also considers strategic variations, or the likeliness of needing to add new positions or new skills. In this sense, the focus is on developing leadership competence or a pool of talent, rather than being able to put a name in a box on the current organization chart.
Three Dimensions of Emersus Talent Management
1. Start from the strategic position: What are our current people needs given our strategy? How might this change if the strategy changes?
2. Look internally Do we have the kinds of people we need? Are they in the right jobs? What can we do to enhance the likeliness of their being able to succeed in a different, higher level role? What kinds of processes do we have to enhance decision-making around succession?
3. Look externally Is our market shifting? Do we need to hire more or differently? What other resources – technology and/or consulting – could help us develop new or better processes?
Emersus Consulting is a certified, expert user of the Hogan Suite of Personality & Cognitive Assessment tools, including the Hogan Personality Inventory (HPI), the Hogan Development Survey(HDS), the Hogan Motives, Values & Preferences Inventory (MVPI) and the Hogan Business Reasoning Inventory (HBRI).
Emersus Consulting are certified, expert users of Human Synergistics International 360° Feedback tools including Leadership Impact Assessment, Management Impact Assessment and Leadership Workstyles Assessment.
Emersus Consulting is an expert, certified user of CCL leadership development assessments including the Benchmarks® 360° Feedback Assessment tools (Benchmarks® for Executives, Benchmarks® for Managers, Benchmarks® for Learning Agility and Benchmarks® by Design) and Skillscope 360° Feedback Assessment.